Thursday 4 August 2011

Reality

Today we had our Exchange orientation---it all feels so real to me now... I just cannot believe I am thousands and thousands miles away from home. I terribly miss everyone already, it's just so different. I need to come out of my comfort zone and welcome any new opportunites and experiences with open arms...for God's sake I am an Evergreen (Orientation leader for 1st years) at school! [Evergreens are the most upbeat  and friendliest people I would say at Loyola haha] Why am I putting a wall up and shying away at times? I have never been out of the country by myself. As I sat in the lecture hall, listening to speakers, it made me think of my freshman year as a new student at Loyola, having the same feelings: excitement, nervousness, anxiety, and such, except this time I cannot go home on the weekends. Being abroad and away from home makes me realize it's time to grow up, be independent, and self-sufficient.

One of the speakers from the Counseling Center spoke about the phases we will be going through (honeymoon, adaptation, etc.) and culture shock. I am afraid of being homesick and dealing with anxiety. If you don't know me, I stress myself even more with school, and I like to have that one person or couple people to go to, to vent and such. I have to think "baby steps, Shannon..." I need to learn to take one day at a time and try not to rush things and let time do its part.

Classes start on Monday...I cannot believe it's already time for that. I have definitely been enjoying my time so far in the Lion City. I definitely have made great friends so far from the UK, Scotland, Canada, etc. Everyone's just so nice and welcoming. I am actually very excited about my courses, Loyola does not really have these specific ones. I am ready to take on challenges. Call me a nerd, but I just cannot wait! I love communications and cannot wait to see how different it will be from the US (teachings, projects, assignments, etc.).

Last night, we went to a club called Zouk. It was a mixture of Zen West and Reefers (My Loyola people will totally get this!). The DJ was awesome, what was really funny about the music, was that it went from 80's music to modern day music to Grease music? I had such a great time dancing and getting to know my friends better.

Funny story: I met someone from Maryland (Bel Air) who goes to College Park who is at this school and lives in the same Hall as me...what a small world!

I know this was not really an enjoyable blog to read; it was more of a venting post for me, but I sware next post will be better and more fun to read, until then, much love from the Chatty Chong!

No comments:

Post a Comment