Sunday 7 August 2011

Immerse Yourself

The next day after Sentosa, we visited Little India and Chinatown (once more). We visited buddhist/hindu temples which were absolutely fascinating and beautiful. The colors were vibrant and you could tell that the sculptures were meticulously made, with every sharp detail of the human and animal faces.You had to take your shoes off though, so there were piles and piles of shoes in front of the temples. I was afraid I was going to lose mine!! I mostly walked around Little India with Annemette and Lizzi. It was nice to be with the girls for a change hahaha. The boys were straggling along. And of course it was the hottest day ever...the sun was beating down on us as our shirts became more damp with our own sweat. After walking around here and there and exploring, we decided to go to Chinatown for dinner to meet up with Dominik who said he knew the best seafood place in town.

Annemette, Lizzi, and I made a pit stop at the toilets (they call it toilets here instead of bathroom)...and guess what I did there?! PAY 10 cents to use the bathroom! and that was WITHOUT toilet paper....absolutely crazyyyy! I was shocked for sure and digusted b/c there was no toilet paper...talk about culture shock! After that horrifying incident, we proceeded to get some dinner in Chinatown...

The girls split and ate at a thai place while I stayed with the boys and had some seafood. I got a seafood noodle dish, while the boys practically ordered a seafood feast...it reminded me of Thanksgiving dinner....plates in the middle of the table, and everyone grabbing at whatever they can and stuffing themselves. The boys licked the plates clean!!! Justin and Dominik ordered the famous Singapore Chili Crab...I tried a little piece and it was delicious! The sauce was sweet but hot! After rubbing our bellies, we decided to go to Clarke Quay bridge and meet up with Robbie and everyone else. It's so nice to be surrounded by familiar faces and drinking and just hanging out.

The next day, Team America plus Fiona went to Boon Lay to have lunch. We ate at Pepper Lunch---absolutely delicious food! They bring out your food on a hot plate. You then proceed to cook and mix it around and add sauce. It was like a mini hibachi on a plate. I ordered the chicken and salmon rice. It was almost cooked to perfection, so I moved it all around on my hot plate and added this sweet honey brown sauce. It was hot, tangy, and delicious!! I then purchased school supplies and started to feel excitement for classes..I enjoy communications, so I was ready for school! We decided to go watch a movie, but the one we wanted to see did not start until 5:30 so we decided to go to Jurong East, I believe to see if there was another movie....After walking around for hours and hours, we were informed that the movies were only at Boon Lay. Frustrated, hot, and bothered, we went back and sat at the food court, waiting for 5:30.

All of a sudden, I felt a surge of exhaustion and homesickness....out of no where. I decided to go back, rest a little, and hang out with Jasmine and Shelby. I grabbed dinner with them along with Kelly at Canteen 13...the food was just O.K--it was the same thing, same taste...just "blehhh." Shelby, Jasmine, and I decided to walk to Wee Kim Wee School of Communications and Information so we had a feel for where our classes would be. After walking around for half an hour dripping sweat all over the place, we found it! The building has a really cool and interesting set up. It is not indoors, it is outdoors. In the middle of the campus, there are tables where you can eat, hang out, or study. Along the borders are the lecture and tutorial rooms.... I will be spending a lot of time there! After finding the place, we decided to reward ourselves to McDonalds Oreo McFlurry's at North Spine. It was sooooooooo good and it was just what I needed---a taste of home. After that, I went back to my room and prepared for classes and skyped my family. I miss them soo much... after talking to them, I just wanted to hop on a plane and be with them, instead I showered, calmed down, and talked to Katie Joumas from home! Miss that girl....

Now on to TODAY...so far I had one class, my Integrated Marketing Communications. I walked over to the lecture with Meg. We were sweatyyyyyy! The professor is really cool, I think I am going to enjoy this class. We just have two assignments: a tutorial due before recess week and after, then a final, so just 3 things to get through this semester. I am excited because I enjoy IMC and like to see how everything works together. I grabbed a quick lunch afterwards and proceeded to attack laundry. Washing is free!! Drying is only a dollar--not bad at all....definitely A LOT cheaper and faster than Loyola =)  Now, I am just cooling down, folding laundry, and going to CHILL out. I have one more class today at 3:30...until then, much love from the Chatty Chong!

No comments:

Post a Comment