Monday 1 August 2011

Beer Towers and Friends!

Hello Hello! So yesterday I officially signed in with the International Student Centre. It was mad mayhem in there, did I mention how sweaty everybody was? Talk about B.O.... Anyways, it was succesful and now I'm officially an NTU exchange student! WHAT WHAT check me out.

Patrick took us out to Orchard Road, which is basically an Asian form of New York City, but MUCH cleaner and more sophisticated. It was crazy though. The cars don't stop for pedestrians...just like good ol NYC. There's America in Singapore I sware! You just have to look for it! We went into the ION mall on Orchard Road and it is absolutely beautiful in there! The biggest mall I've ever seen stuffed with people rushing around to get some shopping done. Did I mention how much Singaporeans LOVE food? They reserve the top and bottom floor JUST FOR FOOD. I was in Heaven. It's all Asian food. It's so funny because in Singapore in the food courts, well the Food Opera (they call it in this mall ), there are no forks or napkins given out, only spoons or chopsticks (Poor Bobby is still struggling...). Lucky for me cause I'm used to eating rice with chopsticks all day everyday haha. I wonder how long noodles and rice will last for me.. I'm starting to miss my American cuisines..

After walking around Orchard Road and such, Bobby, Andrew, Justin, and I were trying to plan our night. We decided to go to Blooie's Bar. It's outdoor with a tiki Canadian theme (haha). There's a tiki hut but with hocky sticks on it and pictures of a ice hockey team with a Canadian flag and random paraphernalia such as plastic giraffes and dogs? hahaha. We ordered a beer tower between the four of us, so it's 2 glasses per person, but Bobby, Andrew, and I basically had 3. I felt a good buzz afterwards. Our new found friends, Fiona and Campbell (from Scotland) joined us. They are just great people, so friendly. Fiona told us about this "Staff Bar" on campus that apparently was holding parties for the exchange students, we went to go check it out..

As we were walking in, we heard music booming through the lobby. I walked in and saw only 7 people in this party...7! I said, "Damn... Oh well...", So I went up to the 2 girls at the bar and introduced myself. The girls were super nice and welcoming. Their names are Lizzy and Katie. They 7 of them are from the UK, but some of them were born from Denmark and Scotland. Leo apparently looks like a mix of Ronald Weasley and Neville Longbottom. He was soo hilarious. Robby is just hysterical! No matter who you meet on campus, we all have one thing in common.... WE LOVE TO DRINK. The Europeans find it fascinating that the drinking age in America is 21. Sucks for us... when I return to the USA, I'll still be 20....

After the long 4 days we were here, we finally made some great friends (the Canadians and Europeans). The Singaporeans aren't as welcoming which I TOTALLY understand. They are used to their friends and cliques, it is just like when Exchanges are at Loyola...did I ever go out and beyond to hang out with them? Now I just feel guilty..... But, hey we made friends and had a beer tower, and I was pretty content with the night, plus I might have bought a couple more beers at the staff bar...oops! We'll see what happens tonight, until then, much love from the Chatty Chong!

No comments:

Post a Comment