Monday 5 September 2011

Staff Club Gone Wild

What an epic weekend.... what started out to be a sober and educational night turned out to be a wild [Saturday] night that I will never forget... do I even remember it to begin with? oops...?

On Friday night, we all decided to go to the National Museum of Singapore. It was free admission, plus it would be good for my cultural immersion project! It was a little boring to me but overall, it was interesting to see how Singapore has "grown." I made a box of hopes and dreams, and being a retarded Communications major, my box looked like I had made it in the dark. The kids around did better than me! We went on a self-guided tour. Headphones and a controller box of some sort was given to each person. You basically choose what you want to listen to. It was interesting. Of course, not even 15 minutes into it, I got bored. I think museums are better during the day, I would probably be more awake and actually interested, than at night, when I am thinking of Clarke Quay and Tiger haha.

After the museum, it was off to Clarke Quay bridge. As tradition, we went to 711 and bought some beers, mingled, and met new friends! yay I love people! And, of course, I was sweating buckets because it's always hot in Singapore, no matter what time it is, you are going to sweat 24-7; I have accepted it, but it would be nice to actually look decent when I go out, instead of having the shiniest and stickiest face in the crowd. Katie and I got hungry, so we decided to go on a voyage for something greasy and yummy. We ended up at Verve Pizzeria. Okay, so the man gave us our pepperoni slices and asked for $8, so we gave him $10. He was like "No, one slice is $8." UMMM hold the phone, $8 for one pizza slice? Damnnn and I thought Loyola was expensive! =)  Anyways, it was the best pizza I have had in Singapore, so I was a happy girl! I love to just sit, eat, and bond with people... the simple things in life really make your night.

Okay, so now off to "staff club gone wild".... Before that event, Katie, Kirsty, Justin, and I went shopping... ohhh how much I love to shop! It was soo good to be back on Orchard Road and be a girl and SHOP! The first H&M opened in Singapore and the lines were ridiculously long, wrapped around the store and down the street, this was some serious shit! We decided to skip that and go another time, and hit up Forever 21... I LOVE FOREVER 21!!!! I was going wild and picked up anything that was colorful and pretty! I ended up buying two new dresses, a top, and gold flower sandals, AND got a discount for having a Student's Pass! SCORE! Justin was such a trooper, sticking with us girls, cause boys hate shopping, am I right? He ended up buying himself some nice things too, so it was a WIN-WIN situation! Hooray for spending money! haha. After our lovely day of shopping, we went to the Pioneer hawker centre and ate dinner. I had pork dumpling noodle from the Chicken Rice stand...super yummy! I believe I paid $2.50 for my meal...so $2.06 US? Not too shabby!

Off to the night...so we rushed home, I put my new dress and sandals on, and we pregamed a bit in my room. Katie drank her 6% alcohol content "cooking" wine, as I drank my 15(?)% alcohol content Yellowtail wine..... mmm I love wine, such a cozy and warm feeling, but not when you chug it. Do not chug wine, kids! We walked over to Lizzi's party on the rooftop. We were greeted by old friends and new friends. I really love the friends I have made here. They are all soo nice, welcoming, and sweet! I feel "at home" and comfortable with them. I can be me without any worries! Anyways, we drank and had a great time, UNTIL the security guard ruined the party and told us we had to leave because we were loud, but ummm it was 11pm on a SATURDAY night? Hmmm.......

We took the party to the roof of the Arts and Media Building (green glass building), which actually was awesome, except the boys chose the steepest hill that had no stairs... cool. Oh and I'm afraid of heights and falling, so climbing up that hill drunk was boat loads of fun! Anyways, we all sat and lounged on the grass and continued to drink. I was out of wine, so Katie gave me a healthy mug of vodka. After drinking, chatting, laughing, and being stupid-drunk, we took the party to Staff Club, which was about to be in "lock-down"?, meaning they were going to lock it, so no one else can get in.

This was not a typical staff club night, usually it's verrrrry chill, but that night, it was like walking into Zouk or Forbidden City (so, basically, in simple terms.. WILD). Music was bumpin, people were dancing, and drinking. The bartender, Jong, remembered me, so of course being best friends, I got free drinks! I made my own drinks behind the bar too! SOO COOL! I want to be a bartender! hahaha, mom and dad if you're reading this, don't freak out, I'm not actually going to be a bartender.... I won't get into details cause there might be some judgment thrown here and there, but to put it in the simplest terms... there was dancing on table tops, free drinks, dancing, loud music, tons of pictures, laughs... just great times! Probably, the best staff club night ever... so epic! OOOH met Korean people! Woohoo, represent! except I can't speak it very well...oops... everybody was so drunk (wasted) and happy though, so I call that success!

On another note, the phrase, "it's a small world after all" is SOO true! So in my PR writing group, there's this girl, Jolene. Her boyfriend goes to school in Pennsylvania. She visited Ocean City...in MARYLAND! I have been going to Ocean City since I was a wittle Asian baby! She is sooo nice too! Another girl in my IMC class, Jing, is studying abroad/exchange at LOYOLA in this upcoming SPRING semester...and lives in the same hall and floor as Lizzi....... the world gets smaller and smaller! How crazy is that?!?! Who would ever think Maryland and Singapore would have a connection?!?

Also, I would just like to say how NICE it is to have OUTDOOR POOLS on campus. I love swimming and catching up with Lizzi. The pool right by our halls is so quiet and peaceful. After a long day of lectures, tutorials, and sweating, it's just nice to jump in a nice cool pool. Sometimes, I have to shake the water off my face and tell myself how fortunate my life is, to be in such a beautiful place. I really love it here, I really do.

After swimming, Lizzi went back to labs, and I headed off to Jurong Point with Fiona. We grabbed some dinner, and were greeted by Katie who met up with us later. Poor girl... her camera broke after a dreadful rainfall in Malaysia.... It's so nice eating off campus, for a change and just chilling out with the girls! We went to a shop, where I bought granola and toiletries. Afterwards, we went to Lizzi's room with Kirsty and ate eggs.. yes, scrambled eggs with... toast with butter! It was amazing! After a month of endless amounts of rice, noodles, and chicken, we had a little snack of REAL western food! My mouth was in bliss! Ahhhh, I love the friends I have made =) Good food and good company, what more could you want?

Some new added vocab to the list......

trainers = sneakers
postal code = zip code
kopi-o = coffee with sugar/milk

.... I'm becoming soo European/Singaporean =) Ahhh, I love my life! (So funny exactly a month ago, I was the total opposite, I was so homesick and wanted to come home....)

Can't wait to see what life brings me next, until then, Much love from the Chatty Chong!

No comments:

Post a Comment