Monday 7 November 2011

"There's 4 of us!....but I'm small!"

What a fun and girly weekend! GIRL POWER!

On Friday, I was boring and stayed in with Fiona. We ended up being lazy and went to McDonalds, as usual. McDonalds is to Singapore as Panera Bread/Chipotle is to America...does that make sense? If not, it means people always go to those places to eat, no matter what time it is or what day it is..... basically people are OBSESSED. You will see tables and tables filled with Singaporean students eating McDonalds with a textbook in hand, no joke. Funny though, back at home, I do not even look or touch McDonalds, but when you're in Asia, surrounded by rice and noodles... McDonalds seems to be a gateway to US and normal food, haha. Here in Singapore, they have McSpicy Wings and.....McDelivery, now if the US had that, we'd all be obese and in wheelchairs... and you know that's true!

On Saturday, I caught up with sleep and grabbed lunch with my roomie, Joanna at Canteen 12/13. I had Korean (missing family and food) "Sundubu Jigae" which is basically spicy soft tofu stew; my momma makes it at home. It tasted okay, nice and spicy, but nothing like my mom's. My roomie is the sweetest and most caring person ever. I've developed an odd raspy cough, and trying to kill it before my Vietnam trip with Robitussin Cough Syrup (since they don't have or know Mucinex or Dayquil) and cough drops, but anyways, she gave me orange juice and Vitamin C pills....so kind! As mentioned, she's from Malaysia, near KL and a mathematics major... bless her, I hate numbers and equations (hence my communication major)!

Saturday night, I had dinner with Ms. Wendy and her family. We went to the Evolution Garden for a nice walk and chat. Ms. Wendy was neighbors with my Aunt Yoon Mee back in Uni. It's a funny thought, that they met in Uni, and now I'm here in Singapore studying at NTU, and she's watching over me. Ms. Wendy is a very nice lady, she is caring, welcoming, and easy to talk to. I am very lucky to have a "family" figure here, especially with my severe case of homesickness (back in August!). We had traditional Singaporean food for dinner at her house, which is soo lavish and beautiful! Her husband offered wine, at first, I was very hesitant, but he was so nice and said it was totally fine, plus I'm legal here! HOLLA! After dinner, I spent time with her children, Aaron who is 11 and Elizabeth who is 8. They are adorable and very clever! I really had a special time with them. I feel so content when I am with them. After my time with Ms. Wendy and her family, I went back to Lizzi's room, met up with the girls, and chilled out, a nice way to end the night!

On Sunday, we were going to cycle on Pulau Ubin Island, but laziness kicked in, so I slept in as well as the girls. We had a girl's day, basically (me, Fiona, Lizzi, Katie, and Kirsty). With no agenda or schedule, we hopped on the mrt and went to Joo Koon for shits and giggles! You see Joo Koon is the very end of the mrt line, and there is absolutely nothing there, except some factories and a go-kart place? So random, hahaha. We hopped back and went to Vivo City shopping centre, and basically did what girls love...shopping (oh and eating). I had proper soup and a wrap... so good! We rushed back to campus to get ready for a night I will never forget, ever.

1-Altitude is "a multi-concept lifestyle destination boasting of 360-degree sky dining view, world tallest al fresco rooftop bar and a sports interactive lifestyle bar" in Singapore.  Ladies must be 21 years old (I'm 20...) and men have to be 25. Fiona met the manager of 1-Altitude the night we were at Attica, and she texted him, and........ we got on the Guestlist! SICK! We felt so "posh" (did I use the word, right, UK girls? haha) and glamorous, walking around this outdoor bar and dancing with cran-vodka, wine, and champagne in our hands. I was with Fiona, Lizzi, Katie, and Kirsty. I absolutely adore them! They have truly made my Singapore experience amazing and a memorable one. I feel I can be ME with them and let my guard down. LOVE THEM! I dread the day I have to say "goodbye." Anyways, the view was BREATHTAKING. I could see all of Singapore. The view reminded me the reason why I came to Singapore. It's a beautiful city! We were so high up in the air, my phone buzzed and greeted me to Malaysia (Indoneisa for Lizzi). I looked like a child in a candy store, staring with my mouth open. I felt like I was in a dream.

We then proceeded to take the lift all the way down to the 1st floor. In hopes of getting to New Asia Bar on time, we walked over, with laughter and... interesting things (balloons, Chinese statutes, pee in a bush...no need to get into details). We finally made it to Swissotel, but a shiny and bright McDonalds dragged us in there instead to soak up the alcohol. I'm pretty sure everyone in McD was drunk. After stuffing our faces, we decided to go back to NTU. We thought it would be a brilliant idea to squeeze 5 girls in one taxi, now in Singapore, there is no way in Hell taxi drivers are cool with that, so we had a plan: get in as fast as we can, and put Lizzi on the ground. After the driver constantly saying, "No can! No can! There is 5! No can!"....Lizzi answered, "but there's 4 of us! .....and I'm small!" All of a sudden, out of nowhere, a taxi van appeared and we hopped in there and all made it home safely. Oh, Singapore....

Today (Monday) is a public holiday, so we were all off of school. We went to Ikea for the rest of the day and night. I had the best meal ever, sad to say it was at Ikea hahaha. I had meatballs, wings, and chips (fries for you Americans). We walked around and the girls bought stuff. I am leaving in 4 weeks, it is useless to buy anything. As the weeks are going by, I am getting very excited to go home, but soo sad to leave the amazing people I have met. I am DREADING the actual "farewell," but on the bright side, my Vietnam trip with Katie and Kirsty is in 10 days!!!!! I cannot wait for another adventure! This week is the last week of classes, I cannot believe it! All my "real assignments" are basically done, so for now, I am sitting around until finals. Until another exciting post, Much Love from the Chatty Chong xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment