Tuesday 1 November 2011

Stop and Think

As I was sitting here in Golden Spoon (a canteen I enjoy) and peacefully doing my marketing paper, I could not continue with a paragraph without thinking about social justice. In Singapore, there is a social injustice about maids whether it being in homes or cafes, or even freakin McDonalds.

There is this old lady with gray hair tied up in a bun and faded maroon t-shirt, who works at Golden Spoon everyday. With a frown on her face, she wheels her cart of dirty dishes and chopsticks around the canteen, on a search for more dirty plates to take to the back kitchen for cleaning. All day, she is on her feet, as people hustle and bustle in and out. NOT ONCE have I ever heard a "thank you" from anyone, or "Oh, I got it"...I mean I understand it is the social norm, to leave dirty plates and utensils on the tables and leave, but.... we are all full-grown adults, capable of walking over to the "Tray Return". I just witnessed a lady rolling her eyes and scoffing at this old lady for being her way... really, it's not hard to say 2 words.. "excuse me." What happened to social justice and the need to help others??? Maybe I'm going crazy...

As I watch this lady from table to table, I cannot help but wonder her health and her family. Would her children or grandchildren be proud and happy 'cause of her successes in still making money at such an age? Or, would they be sad to know she is pushed around emotionally as a maid? At such an old age, I feel grief and sorrow for her. I look at my grandparents and wish they live their lives happily in peace and in solace. 

On the flip side, my friends and I have decided to get fit, so we are running/jogging every night and motivating each other. Running outside in Singapore heat and humidity, you can imagine how sexy I look with sweat dripping down on every part of my body (hahaha). Alright, back to my paper..... Gotta finish it because Indonesia trip this weekend! Until then, much love from the Chatty Chong xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment